Executive Committee Meeting AGENDA              go to minutes

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Library Conference Room, 8:30am


  1. Akaku  
  2. Student Recruitment/Marketing Calendar: Alvin
  3. Program Review Summary Draft
  4. Deficit Reversal Budgets and General Fund Restrictions to Assure Timely Repayments: Due on the 15th Updates, flo and David
  5. Grants, PIs and their relationship to MCC Goals
  6. Flex Scheduling Status: Diane Meyer
  7. Community Forum
  8. Lahaina Ed Center Advisory Committee
  9. Other Items


 Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

8:30 a.m., Library Conference Room


Present:      Pat Adams, Pam Hoopii, Dan Kruse, Diane Meyer, Jeannie Pezzoli, Suzette Robinson, Clyde Sakamoto, Frances Segundo, Mona Stevenson, Alvin Tagomori, David Tamanaha



1.   Akaku

Jay April’s response to a letter sent by Ken Nomura (DOE) and Clyde to the Akaku Board was distributed to committee members.   Executive Committee members were asked to assist with communicating the college’s concerns to the DCCA Director.


2.   Distribution of Information

Information from the Chancellor’s office will be distributed via email to Executive Committee.  Executive Committee members should review information and forward it to their respective groups for additional dialogue.  All “call to action” emails should be forwarded to respective groups.    


3.      RDP Funds

RDP funds have now been included as part of congressional WIA Reauthorization legislation.  Copy of the legislation, page 573, was circulated among committee members.  Authorization language will possibly give us a higher level of funding if appropriations are made on a more consistent basis through the year 2011.   


4.      Student Recruitment/Marketing Calendar

Alvin gave an update on student recruitment/marketing:


   Pat and Alvin are working with Saedene from SAE Design on a “pull up” poster to market the College.  


   Alvin will be working with David T.  to finalize agreement with Ann Wallner.


A CD describing the college is being developed.  The CD will include a welcome from two students, a couple of commercials, the catalog, and pictures of the campus.   It is planned that the CD will be completed before October 11.


The student housing project has started; however, the project could be delayed.   Katrina may impact our ability to get materials for construction and title transactions with A&B were more complicated and lengthy than expected.    We may not be completely done with the 400 beds before the semester begins.  We should know by January 15 approximately how many beds will be available.   Dean was asked to obtain more definitive information earlier.


Alvin is developing a student life proposal on governance and activities.   Scott Ducket also is working on a proposal for Agora.  


         The following are also being worked on.

            Firming up a name for the facility.  Lui will be working with Lau`ulu to recommend a name.

            Alvin and David will be looking at a safe pathway to and from the college to address safety concerns.  

            Clyde and Alvin will be meeting with MEO on a possible shuttle service.

            Meeting with Agora to discuss what computing internet access students would have; either cable service from Time Warner (Road Runner) or microwave shot.   

            Getting press releases out.   Information on room rates will not be available until November.  College needs to press to get information out sooner.


         Clyde asked that he and David be included in student housing meetings to accelerate construction.


5.      Program Review

Draft of the WASC Campus Progress Report was distributed to members for review.  Suggestions can be forwarded to Clyde and Pat by September 21, 12:00 noon.  Deadline to Mike Rota is September 26.  


Discussion was held on the planning process for program health indicators.  The dialogue focused on parts of the template that the UHCC Dean of Instruction and Institutional Research group have developed to meet WASC standards.  Additionally, PHIs for each program need to include reports on their action plans for the past year and plans for the next year.   Validation for each program should contain details of progress, challenges needs as well as plans.  Program Coordinators would benefit from feedback: need to follow up and provide each program with an assessment on how its doing.  Jeannie shared Santa Monica Community College’s model which received accreditation commendation on their process for reviewing program performance.    A campus committee consisting of members from the faculty senate and administration reviews PHIs and makes recommendations to the program people for the following year.  The dean and program faculty follow up on recommendations.   It was noted that we should have an independent campus and community group develop recommendations or develop a process that allows instructional review to come from programs themselves…rather than the Chancellor having to draft the instructional review and overall program summary.  


flo and Suzette have been meeting with program coordinators to develop more equitable workloads among coordinators.  Other strategy may be to address workload issue administratively; to administratively (deans, director and chancellor) support programs to relieve coordinators.  


Suzette, Lynn, and Jeannie conducted workshop on program review.  Faculty were given the option of using either the old or new template.  Analysis and budget implication pieces were emphasized.


6.      Deficit Reversal Budget

All but one has been received; waiting for last piece from instruction.  When all received, will bring to Executive Committee.  Total of little over $500,000 of potential resources earmarked; need to repay $250,000.  Faculty with supply requests can get support for instructional needs from the Foundation if needed.  Suzette noted that folks should review what was stated when their foundation accounts were established.  Purchases need to be consistent with what the initial purposes stated.  Signatories should also be checked to be sure they are current.   Committee members were asked to inform Clyde if purchase requests were outside of the purposes of their Foundation accounts.  These unusual but essential instructional purchases could then be made with requests to institutional advancement funds.  


Concern was raised on how complicated it was to get gifts donated for personnel-related initiatives.   We should be able to figure out a smooth way for people to give us money for staffing.  David will follow up.  


7.      Grants

Questions regarding grants were raised:  How do we know which grants to pursue?  Who makes that decision, an individual, a group?  Is there a criteria?  Do we have a policy?   How do we know what grants are worthwhile pursuing?   Generally grants are developed at faculty, staff, or administrative initiative to advance the MCC Strategic Plan.  The college will only support grants consistent with its Strategic Plan.  We should pursue in a directed fashion those grants that move towards our strategic plan goals.  We are looking for larger rather than smaller kinds of opportunities.  It was noted that we should have someone (a grants writer) who can focus on grant opportunities and who can work with faculty to pursue those opportunities.  Clyde will talk to Janet Six about talking with the Academic Senate on grant opportunities.  It was suggested that Duke Enomoto also be invited to the Academic Senate to talk about the financial preparation critical to writing and submitting grants on a timely basis.    


8.      Flex Scheduling

A resolution in support of flex scheduling was passed by the Academic Senate.  There are about 11 classes that were proposed to be scheduled to be offered as flex classes during the spring.  There are a number of issues that still need to be addressed:  absence of any written proposal, no report submitted of past flex class experiences, possibilities of jeopardizing students’ financial aid and inviting possible findings of problems by the USDE,  WASC student notification requirements (conflicts between refund dates state in the Catalog and those created by flex schedules), short time between classes, decrease in enrollments in past flex classes, prospective default and compliance threats related to MCC’s financial aid status.  Some suggestions given to help resolve some of the issues were to check if financial aid students taking flex classes could be flagged in Banner, start with a more manageable number of flex classes, have a point person to handle all the details of flex scheduling, inform students by including information in Banner, in the schedule of classes, and at financial aid orientation, enlist “flex” faculty to track students, and by having instructors include information in their course syllabi to give to students on the first day of classes.   Dan, Diane, Suzette, and Alvin will meet to discuss next steps.  Dan will clarify the resolution and check to see if John Pye’s report is available as well as any materials in the form of a written proposal.


9.      Community Forum

The Community Forum will be held on October 11.  Suzette will work with Eryck Quesada to get information regarding the forum loaded on to the web.   Diane Meyer has the list of invitees.  Committee members can review the list and inform Diane of any additions.


10.  Lahaina Education Center Advisory Committee

Clyde asked for suggestions on possible members to serve on the Lahaina Education Center Advisory Committee.   Keoki Freeland with the Lahaina Restoration Foundation; Kevin Baptist, Bank of Hawaii Regional Manager; Mike Nakano, Lahainaluna High School will be  asked to serve.  Hope to finalize membership in a month.


11.  “The College on Maui

The committee will be recommending to Eryck Quesada that we italicize “The College on Maui” on the MCC website.  It was also suggested that the print size for “The College on Maui” be slightly smaller than the print size for “Maui Community College.”


      It was suggested that we begin pursuing our name change.  Dan will bring discussion on name change to Academic Senate.


12.  Tech Fee

Alvin reported that at the Student Government meeting a question was raised about the tech fee.  A resolution was passed last year but was dropped because of the tuition increase.  Tech committee resurfaced the establishment of a tech fee at Academic Senate.  This is a new proposal and therefore will have to go through the process of consultations, public hearings, etc.


13.  Reorganization

Written documentation on MCC’s reorganization should be done within a month.  It is anticipated that our reorg after union consultations will be forwarded to the Board of Regents in March or April of next year.  Frances Segundo noted that flo was to conduct a followup meeting with the Civil Service staff.


14.  Jane Jarrow

Alvin announced that Carl Perkins funds will cover travel costs for Jane Jarrow to come to campus on October 12.