Minutes of the Meeting of Friday, November 18, 2011
1. Attendance. The Executive Committee meeting was convened at 8:30 a.m. in Ka Lama 102. Present were Vice Chancellor John McKee, Nicole Beattie, Vice Chancellor Jose Bernier, Bradley Duran, Sue Feltz, Bryan Hieda, Kerry Holokai, Kaleikoa Ka‘eo, Diane Meyer, Brian Moto, Karen Muraoka, Allan Pan-Takase, Stephanie Pratt, Vice Chancellor Alvin Tagomori, Tracie Takatani, Vice Chancellor David Tamanaha, Ray Tsuchiyama, and Elaine Yamashita.
2. Hoolaulea. Allan reported that ASUHMC is planning a campus event for students and families. The event would include music from the Institute for Hawaiian Music and others. ASUHMC is trying to identify sources of funds for the event. Possible dates for the event are Saturday, April 28, 2012, or the Saturday before graduation, May 12. The event would provide fund raising opportunities for campus organizations. An event steering committee will be formed.
3. R25 WebViewer Demonstration. Bradley Duran demonstrated the R25 WebViewer calendaring and room scheduler program. The R25 program shows room reservations, a listing of room features, and photographs of room interiors. The My Request page may be used for room reservations by community organizations. The Department of Information Technology is working with Mānoa on details regarding management of the R25 system. IT is trying to get Mānoa to purchase the full web interface. The program will be rolled out in Spring 2012, and is linked into Banner.
4. Status of Ciivil Service Recruitments. The Committee briefly discussed various vacant clerical positions. Although the hiring freeze has been lifted, UHMC remains subject to budget limitations. Some of the clerical positions are being considered for conversion to APT positions.
5. Enrollment update. As of November 17, 2011, enrollment for Spring 2012 is 2,453, down from 2,784 in Spring 2011. This represents a decrease of 331 students or 11.9%. Neither probation policy nor financial aid appears to be a factor in the drop in enrollment numbers. To date, approximately 46.7% of Fall 2011 students have registered for Spring 2012. Student semester hours currently total 22,673, compared to 26,182 last year, for a decrease of 3,509 student semester hours. Fall 2011 out-of-state student enrollment is slightly higher.
Budget and course offerings are based on projections of anticipated enrollment. The Committee discussed the possibility of disseminating information about students who have not yet enrolled for Spring 2012 to faculty, program coordinators, and counselors.
6. Strategic Planning and Assessment. John McKee provided an overview of strategic planning and assessment. Among the committees involved will be the Strategic Planning Council, which will facilitate the process to develop and modify UHMC’s mission, vision, core values, institutional level outcomes, and institutional SMART goals.
The Committee discussed the composition of the Strategic Planning Council and identified the following possible members: Chancellor, Senate Chair, Chancellors Advisory Council representative, Outreach Centers representative, student liaison to Executive Committee, IEAC representative, faculty and staff development representative, SPC Facilitator (Lori Teragawachi), Administration representative, tenure track faculty representative, clerical representative, APT representative, and O&M representative.
7. Comprehensive Program Review Team Selection. The Committee discussed the composition of the Comprehensive Program Review Teams, which typically consist of three members. This year, department chairs will serve on their respective Comprehensive Program Review Team. The following Committee members were proposed for service on the Teams:
Agriculture: Kaleikoa Ka‘eo
Fashion Technology: Diane Meyer
Lana‘i Education Center: Tracie Takatani
Lahaina Education Center: Susan Wyche
University Center: Elaine Yamashita
Personnel: Kim Gray
Team chairs will appoint remaining vacancies. Teams are expected to report by the end of the calendar year.
8. Emeritus Faculty. John McKee reported that a memorandum requesting the award of emeritus status to retired UHMC faculty BK Griesemer, Vincent Linares, Dorothy Pyle, and Robert Santos was transmitted to the Board of Regents via Vice President John Morton. The request is anticipated to be on the January 2012 Board of Regents meeting agenda.
9. Adjournment. The meeting was adjourned at 9:56 a.m.