of Hawai'i Maui College library develops collections,
resources and services that meet the educational, instructional, and
research needs of the university community. To meet those needs, the
library provides internet workstations for the purpose of accessing information
resources in electronic format. The Library Internet
Workstation Use Policy is part of the library’s overall policy
structure and should be interpreted in conjunction with other existing policies
and procedures. This policy refers to internet workstations in public
UH/UHMC library internet workstations and related equipment are to be used
only to access information resources for educational, instructional, and
research needs. The use of library equipment for other purposes is
prohibited. Users must respect the rights of other users and abide
by all university and library policy, licensing, and contractual agreements.
Users must not use equipment in an unsafe or harmful manner and should
not damage equipment and facilities.
Users must comply with the University
of Hawai'i Policy on Acceptable Use of University Computer and Information
The following is considered unauthorized use and is prohibited:
- knowingly or carelessly performing an act that will interfere with
the normal operation of computers, workstations, peripherals,
- attempting to circumvent data protection schemes or uncover security
- using the network to gain unauthorized access to computer systems;
- masking the identity of an account or machine, which includes, but
is not limited to, sending mail anonymously;
- attempting to monitor or tamper with electronic communications of other
users, or reading, copying, changing, or deleting files or software of
- installing or uploading of software programs
or using a computer account that you are not authorized to use;
- game playing;
- recreational chat rooms.
It is also University of Hawai'i policy that:
- displaying of sexually explicit images or sounds where others can see
or hear them may create a hostile environment and could constitute sexual
harassment according to University policies on sexual harassment (Executive Policy E1.203), library staff may intervene and direct
users to cease this activity;
- university resources are intended to be used for institutional purposes
and may not be used for private gain;
- users must observe all laws relating to copyright, trademark, export,
and intellectual property rights.
- Non-affiliated users are not permitted to use the library computers. Any
user may be asked to show valid UH identification.
- Visiting scholars, with
proper credentials, may be permitted access to the workstations, at the discretion
of the librarian.
Printing & Downloading
- Printing is allowed from the workstations. Most printing is only
available on a fee-for-page basis.
- There is no downloading or installing of programs allowed
on the internet workstations.
- There are limited computer applications on the library’s workstations.
Internet, database, and library catalog searching are the workstation’s
- Library workstations may be designated for specific purposes. Specific
rules are posted adjacent to workstations so designated.
It is the policy of the university to deny access to any member of
the user community who violates this policy or who uses the university’s
technology resources to violate other duly established policies or
For acceptable use and guidelines policies please
Last updated or verified:
January 16, 2013 1:34 PM